Our Vascular Sonography team and services
Led by our Senior Vascular Sonographer, Mr James Maunder (B.Sc. DMU), our team of Specialist Vascular Sonographers provide diagnostic and interventional procedural support including:
- Pre-surgery diagnosis, mapping and marking
- Post-surgery surveillance scans
- Endovenous Laser Ablation
- Ultrasound Guided Foam Sclerotherapy
- Full complement of vascular ultrasound studies (carotid, upper limb, lower limb, aorto-iliac and renal)
- Functional studies (Ankle Brachial Indices (ABI), Toe Pressures (TP) and Treadmill)
All scans are overseen and reported by Dr Bray.
What is a Vascular Duplex study?
Ultrasound uses sound waves to produce images. The sound waves are transmitted through your body from a small handpiece that looks like a microphone (called an ultrasound probe). These waves are reflected and processed by the ultrasound machine to form pictures. Ultrasound has been around for over 60 years and studies have shown that it is a safe technique with no harmful side effects. Doppler is a way of measuring the speed of flowing blood using reflected sound waves. It is the combination of ultrasound pictures and Doppler flow velocities that we call a Duplex study.
Vascular Duplex is a non-invasive diagnostic investigation used to:
- Monitor blood flow to organs and tissues;
- Locate and identify blockages or narrowings (stenosis) and characterise them;
- Detect blood clots (DVT);
- Evaluate the success of open or endovascular procedures like bypasses or stents;
- Determine if there is an enlarged artery (aneurysm);
- Determine the source and extent of varicose veins.
With this information the doctor can make appropriate decisions about your treatment and outcomes.
Depending on the type of examination you are having, you may need to do some preparation before your appointment. Please refer to the patient preparation instructions below.
- Preparing for your ultrasound examination
- What to expect in an ultrasound examination
- Ultrasound appointments & follow up consultations
Vascular Solutions provides an accredited Specialist Vascular Ultrasound service for patients at the following locations:
Vascular Solutions (Nedlands) Suite 39 Hollywood Medical Centre,
85 Monash Avenue, Nedlands.
Vascular Solutions (Subiaco): Suite 305 St John of God Medical Clinic,
25 McCourt Street, Subiaco
Vascular Solutions (Albany): Amity Health,
136 Lockyer Avenue, Albany
Fees and accounts
With the exception of varicose vein studies, we bulk bill all vascular duplex studies if you hold a valid Medicare card and referral from your GP at the time of your appointment. You will be advised of any out of pocket costs at the time of booking.
Should you have any queries in relation to your ultrasound examination or preparation, please contact Vascular Solutions Ultrasound on 9287 7444.